PORTFOLIO RESPONSIBILITIES FOR AGRICULTURE
- Provide oversight for the delivery of MEYSAL's services and outputs in a manner of achieving optimum productivity.
- Provide oversight and direction to the Department of Agriculture, which drives the operation and extension services of the sector.
- Provide financial management and accounting services, planning, execution, recording, and reporting of financial transactions to facilitate the implementation of MEYSAL' programmes and the procurement of goods and services.
Legislative & Regulatory Services
- Ensure an efficient and effective regulatory framework that will facilitate the following:
- Sustainable use of resources;
- Protection of the environment;
- Development of the agricultural sector;
- Facilitation of imports and trade;
- Assurance of food safety;
- Importation, safe use and distribution of pesticides, in the jurisdiction.
Planning & Policy Services
- Formulate policies and strategies within the strategic framework of the Cayman Islands Government (CIG) to support the following:
- Efficient and effective delivery of services to the farming community;
- Increased domestic production and reduced food importation;
- Strengthened agricultural sector;
- Enhanced food, health, and nutrition security.
- Lead and coordinate all aspects of planning for agricultural development.
- Coordinate the preparation and submission of Cabinet Papers, briefs, answers to parliamentary questions and other information as requested.
- Develop an infrastructure to support the sustainable growth and development of the sector.
- Provide oversight for and management of the agricultural facilities and properties that fall under MEYSAL.
- Lead and provide oversight to the recruitment and staffing needs of the Ministry.
Productivity & Competitiveness
- Increase domestic production, reduce food importation, strengthen the resilience of the sector, and enhance food and nutrition security by making the following available to the farming community:
- Technological inputs and practices;
- Incentives, subsidies, and other benefits to advance modernisation;
- Agri-business ventures.
- Provide a competitive farming community which aims to increase the agricultural sector's contribution to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- Provide financial support to not-for-profit organisations (NPO) as outlined in the following:
- The Cayman Islands Agricultural Society (CIAS)
- Importation of genetics to improve the local livestock industry;
- Hosting of agricultural shows and awards to highlight the work of farmers and the sector;
- Assistance with the transmission of information and benefits to the farming community from MEYSAL.
- The Cayman Islands Humane Society (CIHS)
- Provision of spaying and neutering services for animals in its care aiming to control their population in the jurisdiction.
- Provide policy advice that will lead to the transformation and modernisation of the agricultural sector.
- Make recommendations for the adoption of policies, strategies, goals, and plans of MEYSAL which will increase competitiveness and sustainable output in the agricultural sector.
- Provide Agricultural Health, food safety, facilitate trade and other services, through the DOA to the local agricultural sector and international partners.
Collaboration & Strategic Partnership
- Establish and maintain strategic partnership with regional and international agricultural ministries, departments, and organisations to enhance the development of the Cayman Islands’ agricultural sector.
- Collaborate with other inter/intra-governmental ministries/department/agencies as well as private sector organisations to enhance the growth and development of the Cayman Islands’ agricultural sector.