School Registration Deadline
Published 11th May 2010, 10:24am
Students enrolling in government schools for the first time for the 2010/2011 school year must register between 20th April and 20th July. Children who will be transferring to government schools, along with those who will be five years old before 31 January 2011, must also be registered.
Registration will take place at the Department of Education Services (DES), 130 Thomas Russell Way, and the Cayman Brac Teacher’s Centre (CB/LC).
Parents may pick up registration forms at government schools; the Department of Education Services office; and the Cayman Brac Teacher’s Centre. When the form has been completed, it must be returned to the DES offices above, with a copy of the following documents attached:
- The child’s birth certificate
- The child’s immunization card
- Documentation of child’s residency category (i.e. birth certificate, passport, status letter/certificate, RS 101 form)
- Proof of address (mandatory) street name, house/apartment number, block number. Proof in the form of a utility bill (CUC or Water), lease or notarized letter from landlord if renting)
- The last school year’s report (if the child is transferring from another school including private schools). In the case of transfer to John Gray High School or George Hicks Campus/Clifton Hunter High School a transcript from the last school should be included.
The Department of Education Services’ registration, attendance and truancy services officers will check the form for completeness, check the required documentation and determine the designated catchment area for the primary- or secondary school assignment.
Following approval by the Learning Community Leader, the school secretary will then make an appointment for a medical examination with the public health nurse or advise the parents of the option to arrange for a medical examination by a private doctor.
Before a child is actually enrolled in school, the medical examination MUST be completed.
Remember: enrol EARLY to ensure that your child has a place in September. CHILDREN REGISTERING AFTER 20TH JULY CANNOT BE GURANTEED SPACE.
Only when the parent receives notification from the school can the parent be assured of placement in the assigned school for September.
Payment of Fees:
All non-Caymanian students must pay school fees at the following rates:
- Years 1-6 — CI$250.00 per term or CI$ 750. 00 per annum
- Years 7-9 — CI$300.00 per term or CI$ 900.00 per annum
- Years 10-12 — CI$400.00 per term or CI$ 1,200.00 per annum
Payment sites are as follows:
- Cayman Brac residents – Cayman Brac Teachers Centre, CB/LC
- Grand Cayman residents – Department of Education Services
130 Thomas Russell Way, GT
Room # 2