School Registration Begins
Published 13th May 2011, 3:20pm
Registration for students enrolling in government schools for the first time for the 2011/2012 school year will start immediately, with an anticipated completion date of July 20. In addition to children who will be transferring to government schools, all children who will be five years of age on or before January 31, 2012 must be registered.
Registration will take place at the Department of Education Services (GCM) and the Cayman Brac Teacher's Centre (CB/LC). Parents may pick up registration forms at government schools, Department of Education Services 130 Thomas Russell Way, George Town and the Cayman Brac Teacher's Centre, Cayman Brac. When the form has been completed, it must be returned to the Department of Education Services offices above, with a copy of the following documents attached:
The Department of Education Services, Registration, Attendance and Truancy Services Officers will check the form for completeness, check the required documentation and determine the designated catchment area for the Primary school or secondary school assignment. Following approval by the Learning Community Leader, the school secretary will then make an appointment for a medical examination with the Public Health nurse or advice the parents of the option to arrange for a medical examination by a private doctor.
Before a child is actually enrolled in school, the medical examination MUST be completed.
Payment of Fees:
All non-Caymanian students under approved categories must pay school fees at the following rates:
Years 1-6 - CI$250.00 per term or CI$ 750. 00 per year
Payment sites are as follows:
- Cayman Brac/ Little Cayman residents - Cayman Brac Teachers Centre, CB/LC
- Grand Cayman residents - Department of Education Services;Room # 2,130 Thomas Russell Way, GT.
NOTE: Remember; enroll EARLY so as to ensure that your child has a place in September. CHILDREN REGISTERING AFTER JULY 20TH CANNOT BE GUARANTEED SPACE.
Only when the parent receives notification from the school can the parent be assured of placement in the assigned school for September.
The catchment areas for government primary schools are:
- SIR JOHN CUMBER PRIMARY - North of Government House to Spanish Bay Reef to include all of West Bay.
- GEORGE TOWN PRIMARY - South of Government House to Memorial Avenue, North along Walkers Road to Maple Road and East along Smith Road to Crewe Road airport junction. North on Airport Road, through the junction in Industrial Park to include all areas North and East past the airport to North Sound.
- RED BAY PRIMARY - Areas on South side of Memorial Avenue going South along South Sound Road and North along Walkers Road to include, Windsor Park, South side of Smith Road, Randyke Gardens, both sides of Crewe Road bordered by Owen Robert Airport to include Tropical Gardens and Red Bay bordered on the East by Victory Avenue.
- SAVANNAH PRIMARY - The East side of Spotts-Newlands Road to Beach Bay Road in Pedro including greater Pedro.
- BODDEN TOWN PRIMARY - East of Beach Bay Road up to Breakers including Northward.
- EAST END PRIMARY - East of the Frank Sound junction to include all of East End to Colliers.
- NORTH SIDE PRIMARY - All of Frank Sound to Old Man Bay West to Cayman Kai.
- PROSPECT PRIMARY - All areas from Prospect Drive eastward to West side of Spotts-Newlands Road (to include all of Prospect Park, Patrick's Island, Ocean Club, Mariners Cove, Cascades Drive and the West side of Spotts-Newlands Road)
- WEST END PRIMARY - Western end of Cayman Brac to Faith Hospital on the North side of the island and correspondingly across the island to the South coast.
- CREEK INFANT/SPOT BAY JUNIOR SCHOOL - All areas East of Faith Hospital to the Eastern end of Cayman Brac.
- LITTLE CAYMAN EDUCATION SERVICE - All areas of Little Cayman
The Catchment Areas for government Secondary Schools are:
- JOHN GRAY HIGH SCHOOL